Working In Another Province

by Tax Guy - Burlington Accountant on December 29, 2008 Print This Post Print This Post

Question: “My husband accepted a job that has him living and working in Alberta while our family home is in British Columbia.  He rents a hotel by the week while he is working and receives a living allowance from his employer to cover his expenses while he is away.  However, the allowance does not quite cover the costs.  Will he be able to claim any moving expenses?  Will he be able to claim any work expenses over his living allowance?  Will he be able to choose his province for taxation?”

These are excellent questions.  I’ll address each of the issues in sequence.


Normally your province of residence for income tax purpose is where you were living on December 31st of the tax year.  However, in this case the determining fact will be the location where he ordinarily resides.  The determining factor here would be where you reside, the family home is, bank accounts etc.  It would appear the province of residence would be British Columbia.

Moving Expenses

Moving expenses are deductible if there is an official move of ore than 40 KM closer to the place of employment.  This would involve moving the family home to Alberta near where your husband works.

The Allowance

The receipt of the allowance itself must be included in income as employment income.  If certain conditions outlined in the next section are met, then deductions may be claimed for the travel expenses.  However, the allowance would not be taxable if it were reasonable and was to cover costs to work away from the location where the employer is normally located.

Travel & Motor Vehicle Expenses

Travel and motor vehicle expenses may be deducted under subsections 8(1)(h) and 8(1)(h.1) of the Income Tax Act respectively.  To make a claim under these provisions of the act your husband must meet the following conditions:

1.         He must be required to pay his own travel expenses, accommodation expenses, and motor vehicle expenses as well as have a T2200 signed by his employer.

2.         He must be ordinarily be required to carry out his duties away from the employer’s place of business.

3.         He must not be in receipt of an allowance.

If the first two conditions are met, we could assume that the allowance is not taxable.  In this case he may claim that the allowance was unreasonable, add the value of the living allowance to his income, and claim deductions for travel and motor vehicle expenses.

The above assumes that your husbands’ employer is local but he is required to work away from their normal business location.  If the circumstances are different then the tax result could be different as well.  I would strongly suggest that your husband meet with an accountant in your area to discuss your circumstances.

About The Tax Guy...

Dean Paley CGA CFP is a Burlington accountant and financial planner who services individuals and business owners locally, nationally and internationally. Dean has appeared in the National Post, Toronto Star and Metro News.

To find out more, visit Dean's website Dean Paley CGA CFP or connect via Twitter @DeanPaleyCGACFP.

Print This Post Print This Post


mary March 7, 2013 at 5:56 am

can i claim my child university cost if iam paying for her rent books and living cost studient loan gave her enough to cover tuision only

Josh March 27, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Im just curious about residency. I work only in alberta snd have the past 10 years. Im in alberta 8-9 months a year. I sold my house and live in work camps mainly now and my wife and daughter stay mainly in nb as we bought a home there. If im in alberta january first is tbat where i can pay taxes? My license and health care are in nb. How do i become a resident and taxed in alberta and keep my lake house in nb

Philip Cameron October 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hi, I’m live in Nova Scotia and was wondering if I go to work for construction company in Alberta for a month what tax is deducted from my pay. Alberta tax or Nova Scotia tax. I’m assuming I’ll have to put some of my earnings aside for filing income tax in Nova Scotia as not enough would be deducted from my pay In Alberta.

Tax Guy - Burlington Accountant October 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Likely it will be Alberta. You may want to ask for additional tax to be deducted using form TD1.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: