In the last few years there has been an explosion of tax preparation software available in Canada. Software programs can tally up your tax return quickly and easily, and can minimize the number of errors. Not all software is created equal and some have more bells and whistles than others.
Here is my list of tax preparation software that you buy in stores or download from the provider’s site.
Available In Stores or By Download
TurboTax (Formely QuickTax) by Intuit – Intuit Canada is a leading provider of business, financial and tax management solutions for small- and mid-sized businesses, consumers and accounting professionals. They have been developing software in Canada for Canadians for almost 20 years. On the tax side, we develop and sell tax prep software for professionals (ProFile) and consumers (QuickTax). Intuit is the market leader in both categories. For consumers, they offer a full range of tax software and services, from Free & Student-specific versions, to others for people with investments and small business owners.
H&R Block At Home – There are two editions of H&R Block’s At Home product: Deluxe and Premium. Both allow you to prepare up to 16 individual tax returns. The Deluxe edition can handle tax returns of any type including capital gains and loses, self-employment income and rental property income. The Premium edition also offers unincorporated businesses a Financial Organizer, up to 20 individual returns and 167 tax tips for business owners.
UFile – UFile was developed by Dr Tax Software Inc., Canada’s leader in providing software to chartered accountants, certified general accountants and other tax specialists for over a decade. The same calculation engine that powers UFile has been used by these tax experts to file millions of Canadian tax returns.
UFile is simple to use. Just have your tax slips handy when you’re ready to start and the UFile interview method will do the rest, taking you smoothly and easily through your tax return preparation.
Download Only Tax Software
>GenuTax – Once you purchase a copy of GenuTax Standard, annual tax updates for future years are free. You will be able to prepare your tax returns for 2009 and beyond, at no additional charge, without any per-return fees.
Key Features of GenuTax
- One time cost and annual updates for your future years are free.
- You can prepare up to 20 returns with no additional cost or income restrictions.
- Easy to understand interview process takes you step-by-step through preparing your taxes and claiming your deduction.
>Taxnic – Taxnic Software Systems is a Canadian corporation registered in British Columbia. Since 2005, Taxnic has been developing innovative tax software to make it easier to file tax return and help users to save more on income taxes.
Taxnic has released two editions for NETFILE: Taxnic online (www.taxnic.ca) and Taxnic for Windows. Both editions have been certified by CRA NETFILE.
>TaxTron – TaxTron for Individuals offers everything you need to file your personal and small business taxes. With TaxTron you can NetFile your return and receive your refund in two weeks or less!
>etaxCanada 2009 – eTaxCanada™ 2009 is a comprehensive form-based software for preparing and filing your T1 tax return. eTaxCanada offers a To-Do list , Step-by-Step Interview, and other helpful features to help you prepare an error-free tax return more easily. At the same time, all the forms are available for you the review. You can verify and figure out how your tax was calculated.
- Support self-employment incomes, rental incomes, and almost all the forms you need.
- 1000+ instant tax checkpoints to help you finish your tax return your way.
- Easy navigation between forms. Most items are just one click away.
- Your saved Profile file is compatible with eTaxCanada 2009 Online. You can upload it to your eTaxCanada 2009 online account (free to register) anytime, then start enjoying our Online tax preparation service without re-entering your return information.
>FutureTax – FutureTax is an easy-to-use, secure and NETFILE/EFILE certified T1 tax preparation software package which allows you to submit your tax return online, or print and mail-in paper returns.
- Free download – only a few minutes to download and install;
- Secure tax return filing on your own computer; your tax information will only be transmitted to CRA when you submit it;
- File spouses’ tax returns together;
- Get your tax refund from CRA in as little as 8 business days;
- Print out or save as PDF file with 2D barcode for paper returns;
- Fast, simple and supported;
>myTaxExpress – myTaxExpress is designed for Canadian personal income tax return (T1 return). It provides all the tax forms that CRA general tax return includes. It also includes Business, Farming, Rental, Professional, Commission and Fishing form. Other forms, like Attendant Care Expense, Child Care Expenses, are also available.
>Studio Tax – StudioTax covers the overwhelming range of personal income tax scenarios from simple tax returns to more involved returns for self-employed, returns with rental income and everything in between.
And you don’t have to guess what version you need or afford; only one fully functional version is available for all at the affordable cost of $0.00/return!
>Tax Freeway – Powerful tax software to easily handle all tax situations supported by CRA NETFILE with no exclusion. For instance, self-employment income/deductions, rental income/deductions, capital gain/loss, unlimited number of tax slips (T3, T4, T5, etc.), and much more.