How To Report The RRIF Re-Contribution

by Tax Guy - Burlington Accountant on April 8, 2009 Print This Post Print This Post

The Government of Canada announced in November 28, 2008 that it was lowering the RRIF minimum withdrawal amounts retroactively for 2008.  Any senior who had already taken their RRIF minimum would be allowed to re-contribute up to 25% of the minimum taken in 2008.  These measures were passed into law on March 13th of this year and re-contributions may be made up April 14th, 2009.

Reporting On Your Tax Return

If you have made the re-contribution to your RRIF, you will receive a receipt from your financial institution.

Report the full amount of your withdrawal in 2008 as you would normally would on your 2008 income tax return.  You can report the re-contribution amount as a deduction on line 232 of your return.

Need More information?

The Canada Revenue Agency has published some information for seniors on this topic here.

About The Tax Guy...

Dean Paley CGA CFP is a Burlington accountant and financial planner who services individuals and business owners locally, nationally and internationally. Dean has appeared in the National Post, Toronto Star and Metro News.

To find out more, visit Dean's website Dean Paley CGA CFP or connect via Twitter @DeanPaleyCGACFP.

Print This Post Print This Post


suresh Bhargava April 13, 2009 at 9:51 pm

What about Revenue Quebec Tax Return?Which line should one show the 25% recontribution? thanks

suresh Bhargava

Sonja Johnson April 14, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Many thanks for this post. I couldn’t find anything on the RevCan or Service Canada sites.

Tax Guy April 14, 2009 at 4:06 pm

It appears as if the re-contribution is recorded on line 250 of the Quebec return.

Tax Guy April 14, 2009 at 4:19 pm

@ Sonja

The info on the CRA site can be viewed at

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: