Help Haiti Through The Red Cross

by Tax Guy - Burlington Accountant on January 13, 2010 Print This Post Print This Post

On January 12, 2010 a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti, collapsing buildings and affecting thousands. It was the strongest earthquake ever to hit the region.

The Red Cross responded immediately to provide shelter, food, clean water and medical care to the many people in need of help. Canadians wishing to donate to the Red Cross Haiti Earthquake fund can do so online using the form below, by calling toll-free 1-800-418-1111 or by contacting their local Red Cross office. Click here for more information about the Haiti earthquake appeal.

The donations you make to the Canadian Red Cross are eligible for the the charitable donation tax credit. Please see my article on the Charitable Donation tax Credit.

If you are in the U.S. contact the American Red Cross.

In the U.K. Contact The British Red Cross.

Note that Canadian residents who donate to foreign charities will not be eligible for the Chartiable Donation tax Credit.

About The Tax Guy...

Dean Paley CGA CFP is a Burlington accountant and financial planner who services individuals and business owners locally, nationally and internationally. Dean has appeared in the National Post, Toronto Star and Metro News.

To find out more, visit Dean's website Dean Paley CGA CFP or connect via Twitter @DeanPaleyCGACFP.

Print This Post Print This Post


Sandra Clark June 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I get CPP disability, my husband, military pension. Both age 55. Can we retire to a place like Panama forever, without affecting our pensions & where do we look for information. Thx

Tax Guy June 24, 2010 at 4:28 am

Hello Sandra,
OAS and CPP are unaffected as should the millitaru pension.

na February 18, 2011 at 12:53 am

I have an uncle who was a Non-resident of Canada (living in Japan) for several years but recently came back and is now a resident. He needs his taxes filed for the years he was living abroad. What form does he need to use to file for the years he was abroad, his past accounant used one form to declare no income. what was that form?

Tax Guy February 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

The personal tax retrun: T1 and its accompanying schedules. You can ontain tax packages for previous years here:

Note that only “residents” of Canada pay income tax on worldwide income. Whether you uncle was a resident or not for tax purposes is a question of fact. Read the following to determine if he was a resident or not:

If he was not a resident, he only need file for the year he was a resident or part-year resident.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: