Capital Gains Exemption on Foreign Investment

by Tax Guy - Burlington Accountant on December 3, 2008 Print This Post Print This Post

Question: “I invested in a building in Europe in 1988 and disposed of it back in 2002.  Is it possible to claim the lifetime capital gains exemption on this transaction?”

The capital gains exemption may only be claimed on the disposition of qualified farm property, qualified small business corporation shares, or qualified fishing property.  In this case the property disposed of would have to have been qualified small business corporation shares.  To qualify, the shares would have to have been of a Canadian controlled small business corporation, which, at the time of disposition, uses 90% or more of its assets either directly in an active business carried on in Canada or as a holding company for such a corporation.  The shares would must have been owned by the taxpayer, the spouse or common law partner, or a partnership related to the taxpayer.  Finally, the shares must not have been owned by anyone else in the preceding 24 months before disposition.

Given the assets were employed in Europe, the capital gains exemption would not have been available.

About The Tax Guy...

Dean Paley CGA CFP is a Burlington accountant and financial planner who services individuals and business owners locally, nationally and internationally. Dean has appeared in the National Post, Toronto Star and Metro News.

To find out more, visit Dean's website Dean Paley CGA CFP or connect via Twitter @DeanPaleyCGACFP.

Print This Post Print This Post

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: